Dusting Sand

Grades: 
Standard or kiln dried.

Uses:
Coring and top dress sand for golf courses, sports fields, parks and reserves and any turf application.

Description:
Specifically graded to meet United States Golf Association (USGA) recommendations. The lower amounts of very coarse sand make Daltons Dusting Sand easier to work into the turf canopy during top dressing events and helps to minimise the occurrence of layering.

Daltons Dusting Sand is land mined from the ancient Waikato river bed in Matamata, then washed and screened through our modern sand plant. Daltons Dusting Sand is consistent, evenly graded and regularly tested. Daltons Dusting Sand is available kiln dried.

Features and Benefits:

  • Meets USGA recommendations
  • Minimised layering
  • Low EC
  • Weed free
  • Improved drainage
  • Amendments and nutrients can be added
  • Turf Tech (seaweed amendment) can be incorporated or mixed into Dusting Sand
  • Reduced damage to mower blades
  • Can be dried for ease of distribution
  • Consistent product.
     

Technical Information:
Information is listed in the analysis below. Refer to Greenzone specifications for particle size.

Particle Size Analysis Report - ASTM Method F1632

  Texture Passing Chemical Analysis
  Sand Silt Clay *ASTM Test Method D4972 - 1:1 Ratio (60g Soil:60ml Distilled Water)
USDA (mm) .05 - 2 .002 - .05 <.002 **“Methods of Soil Analysis” American Society of Agronomy (Rhodes, J.D. 1982)
U.S.Sieve No. 270 - 10 <270 ***Thomas Turf Services Method (1992)
USGA Recommendations (%)   ≤5 ≤3  
Sample ID       pH* EC**
umhos/cm
Extraction Method Acid Reaction***
1 N HCI
Greenzone Sand 96.5 3.0 0.5 6.8 28.0 1 - 1  None

 

United States Department of Agriculture Particle Size Distribution

  Gravel Very Coarse Coarse Medium Fine  Very Fine Primary Particle Shape
U.S. Sieve No.  10 18 35 60 100 <100  
Diameter (mm) >2 1 - 2 .5 - 1 .25 - .5 .15 - .25 <.15  
USGA Recommendations (%) ≤3 7-10 Max* ≥60 ≤20 ≤5** Sphericity/Angularity
Sample ID Percent Retained on Sieve  
Greenzone Sand 0.0 0.3 35.9 41.4 13.5 5.4 Low to Medium/Sub-ang. to Ang

Analysis results from Thomas Turf Services, Inc. Texas, USA.
 

Physical Measurements Report  - ASTM Test Method F1815

  Sat. Hydraulic Conductivity 30cm Water Holding Bulk Density Particle Density Porosity
          Total Capilliary Air-filled
Units in/hr % g/cc g/cc % % %
2004 USGA Recommendations ≥6       35-55 15-25 15-30
Sample ID  
Daltons Rootzone Mixture (15% Peat) 81.5 11.9 1.46 2.66 44.9 17.4 27.5

Analysis results from Thomas Turf Services, Inc. Texas, USA

 



Report:
The particle size analysis of the Daltons Dusting Sand 1.02/1.02 showed it to be free of gravel and to contain acceptable amounts of silt and clay. The sand also contained an acceptable 0.3 - 0.4% very coarse sand which is within the recommended maximum of 10%. The sand contained 35.9 - 36.6% coarse sand and 41.4 - 43.9% medium sand for an acceptable total of 77.3 - 80.5%. This total is above the USGA’s recommended minimum of 60%. The sand contained an acceptable 12.3 - 13.5% fine sand which is within the recommended maximum of 20%. The sand contained 4.7 - 5.4% very fine sand which averages slightly above the recommended maximum of 5%. The sand also contained an acceptable total of 6.8 - 8.9% of the particles in the very fine sand, plus silt and clay fractions which is within the recommended maximum of 10%. The sand had a D85 of 0.75mm and a D15 of 0.19mm. The sand particles were sub-angular to angular in shape with a low to medium degree of sphericity. The sand had a very slightly acid pH of 6.8, was low in total salts and free of carbonates. Except for being slightly high in the very fine sand fraction, the Daltons Dusting Sand 1.02/1.02 DOES MEET the USGA’s recommended particle size distribution for a root zone mixture.

The physical measurements of the Daltons Dusting Sand 1.02/1.02 showed it to have a high, but acceptable saturated hydraulic conductivity (infiltration rate) of 81.5 inches per hour which is above the USGA’s recommended minimum of 6 inches per hour. The sand retained 11.9% moisture at 30cm tension. The sand had an acceptable bulk density of 1.46 g/cc and a typical particle density of 2.66 g/cc. The sand had an acceptable 44.9% total porosity, 17.4% capillary porosity and 27.5% air filled porosity. Based on these results the Daltons Dusting Sand 1.02/1.02 DOES MEET the USGA’s recommendation for physical measurements of root zone mixture.

Analysis results from Thomas Turf Services, Inc., Texas, USA

Image
Dusting Sand applied by a spreader tractor
Image
Daltons Dusting Sand