Immune Boosting Chicken Soup
Keep colds and the flu at bay with this delicious, nutritious soup that’s chock full of immune-boosting ingredients.
• 1 tablespoons coconut oil (can use olive oil – increase to 1.5 Tablespoons)
• 1 small onion, chopped
• 1 carrot, chopped
• 1 celery stem
• 2 cups cubed pumpkin
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 3 cloves – but add another clove if you love garlic)
• 1 ½ teaspoons minced ginger
• 4 cups chicken stock
• 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage
• 250g mushrooms, sliced
• 4-6 chicken pieces (drumsticks, thighs, etc)
• ½ – 1 teaspoon turmeric
• 1-piece dried kombu seaweed
• Coriander (cilantro) for serving
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, melt coconut oil over medium heat and sauté onions, carrots, celery, and pumpkin until the onions are soft.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for another minute.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot, except for coriander, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked.
- Scoop out chicken. Let cool slightly so it is easier to remove meat from bones. Shred chicken and place in bowls. Top with soup, and fresh coriander.