Big Value Blood & Bone
A safe, easy to use natural and gentle source of plant nutrients for use in preparing garden beds.
- Promotes plant growth.
- Promotes healthy fruit and vegetables.
- Promotes bright healthy looking flowers.
Big Value Blood & Bone is suitable for a wide range of vegetables, flowers, seedlings, shrubs, fruit trees, ornamentals and acid loving plants. Big Value Blood & Bone is best mixed with the soil prior to planting.
As well as providing “slow release” Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Calcium and Magnesium, Big Value Blood & Bone will also improve the soil structure and increase earthworm and microbial activity. Blood & Bone can be applied at any time of year, but Spring and Autumn will see best results.
For a well balanced NPK fertiliser, add one part Sulphate of Potash with ten parts Blood & Bone.
Blood & Bone is also useful as an additive to compost heaps to stimulate microbial activity and “speed up” the composting process. Sprinkle on in layers as compost is added.
- Big Value Blood & Bone 8kg
Note: Water soil thoroughly before and after application.
Use as a Base Dressing
Seedlings, vegetable and flower beds
Apply to ground to be planted at a rate of 300 grams (approximately six handfuls) per square metre. Mix thoroughly with the top ten centimetres of soil ensuring the Blood & Bone is evenly distributed.
Use as a Side Dressing
Established plants and gardens
Distribute evenly at a rate of 150 grams (approximately three handfuls) per square metre, keeping the Blood & Bone at least ten centimetres from the base of trees or shrubs. Water excess Blood & Bone off foliage. Rake lightly in to soil, or cover with a mulch, such as Big Value Compost.
- Big Value Blood & Bone is not recommended for pot plants, although it can be incorporated with potting mix prior to planting. For best results with potted plants, use Big Value Slow Release Granular Plant Food.
- If the soil is low in organic matter, an application of Big Value Compost is recommended to enhance the soil structure. (If Big Value Blood & Bone is used in combination with Big Value Compost, the application rates can be halved.)
How much do I need?
Our volume calculator can help you to work out how may bags of the product you will need. You'll need to know:
- Length of your garden box or area
- Width of you garden box or area
- How deep you're going to lay the product
- Which product and bag sizes you want to use