- 60g Butter
- 1/3 cup plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 Bag Fresh Spinach, cooked Water squeezed out and chopped
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 2/3 cup finely grated parmesan
- 250g cream cheese or sour cream
- Mixed salad, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C (200°C fan-forced).
- Lightly grease and line a 30 x 25cm Swiss roll pan with baking paper, extending paper 3cm over long sides.
- Place a tea towel on a flat surface; line with baking paper.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over moderate heat. Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; gradually add milk until well combined.
- Return to heat; cook and stir until mixture boils and thickens.
- Transfer mixture to a large heatproof bowl. Cool slightly. Stir in spinach and egg yolks.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a large clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg white through the spinach mixture.
- Spread in prepared pan and sprinkle with half the parmesan.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until it springs back when touched.
- Invert onto the prepared tea towel and roll to make a log. Cool for 5 minutes, then unroll.
- Spread with cream cheese or sour cream. Top with cooked chopped mushrooms, crispy bacon or smoked salmon.
- Re-roll slice, serve with salad and enjoy!